Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My Jack Russell has just caught a rat and it bit him on the

Hi My Jack Russell has just caught a rat and it bit him on the upper lip. I have stopped the bleeding and cleaned the small wound with salt water. Would he need antibiotics or not
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rat?
Customer: It was a big field rat, looked healthy not ill

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Yes in my opinion generally a deep bite wound such as from a rat will usually require antibiotics, as otherwise it may swell and develop into an abscess. I would take her to your vets in the morning. Hope that answers your question.

Chris