Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My oet rat has as lumpnat her side, sort of in the middle

My oet rat has as lumpnat her side, sort of in the middle between front and hind leg. From what I can find online, I think it isba benign tumor (moveabke, has grown quite quickly). She doesn't sewm toi bothered by it at the moment (doesn't seem in pain, not painful to rouch, eats normally, moves normally, is less keen on coming out of the cage though.)
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the rat's name and age?
Customer: Blacky. She is 18 Months. My question is - how quickly will this tumour grow... I will want to put her down once quality of life decreases/she is in pain. We have one other female rat same age - and we will go on holiday next week. So I would rather wait tilk aftwr hokiday to put her down so the other rat is not all alone for a week. But if there is a risk of her developing significant complications within 2 weeks I would rather do it now...
Assistant: What is the rat's name?
Customer: The rat's name is Blacky (my daughter's pick...)
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blacky?
Customer: No, I think the 2 messages above are the main thing...

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Blacky. You appear to be describing the common mammary fibroadenoma. While these are benign (10% are malignant adenocarcinomas) they grow quickly. Rats appear to tolerate fibroadenomas even when they grow to an egregious size. You can go on holiday and expect Black to remain with a good quality of life. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, that's helpful. I will do this then and take necessary steps when we get back.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.