Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat may have eaten a multivitamin containing 14mg of

Hi. My cat may have eaten a multivitamin containing 14mg of iron. Is that dangerous? She is between 4 and 5 kgs in weight
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Diva
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diva?
Customer: She may not have eaten it i may have misplaced it but would rather be sure. My local vet is closed. She seems fine but i am worried. She is a healthy cat.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have the bottle that the tablet came from here, is there any other parts of a multivitamin that could be dangerous that i should tell you the amount of?

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

No, less than 20 mg per kg of body weight of ionizable iron is nontoxic. That would be equivalent to 80 - 100 mg for Diva.

Vitamin D is the only other ingredient of concern but it would take greater than 4,000 IU per kg of body weight to cause kidney damage. That would be equivalent to 16,000 - 20,000 IU for Diva.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much! There is 5ug of vitamin D3 per tablet so she is safe?

You're quite welcome. 5 ug = 200 IU, a tiny and safe dose for Diva. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have sent a photograph of the bottle to you.

A lovely bottle with nothing of concern for Diva!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh thank goodness, i appreciate your response.

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.