Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our rabbit has a clump of hair removed on his face exposing

Our rabbit has a clump of hair removed on his face exposing red sore skin. He keeps trying to scratch this too
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Fudge and he’s 13months old
Assistant: How old is Fudge?
Customer: 13 months
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fudge?
Customer: He’s stays outside
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is shredded fur clumped inside his cage.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Where abouts on his face? Are you able to send a photo?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the front just up from his nose. Photo attached

That does look sore, any patches anywhere else? It is a odd location. Normally sore patches around a rabbits face often happen around the eyes. It appears as though there must be an underlying irritation either due to trauma or a possibility that we have notes. Cheyletiela is a common parasite in rabbits that causes focal alopecia (hair loss) so I would ensure you’re up to date with parasite control. Otherwise I would bathe it with warm water and apply Savlon to the area- just a thin layer. If it continues to get worse over the cause of the next 24-48hrs then I would advise taking to local vets as we can prescribe a more specific cream to relieve the redness

Did you manage to apply the savlon ok? Another option would be Vaseline to act as a barrier to help prevent it getting worse

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took him to be seen to. He has had an injection and been given antibiotics for a week. I haven’t applied anything to the area but do have some Vaseline that I can try now. Thankyou

Good, glad he’s been seen to. You’re welcome, hope it settles down now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
despite the antibiotics and vasciline I cannot stop him scratching and his face is sore and worse than ever now. He is also licking his feet and claws lots too. Really worried.

Have you recently treated him for mites? You can give him a warm water bathe to relieve the itching a little.