Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My rescue cat is pregnant and I think she's going I to

My rescue cat is pregnant and I think she's going I to labour soon but I've noticed she has some blood on her vulva is that bad?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I've only had her for a week she's very affectionate, appetite has not gone down, just the bleeding it looked a little like a string hanging from her vulva and I'm worried

A small amount of blood can be normal as a cat enters labour, as long as it isn’t flowing or gushing. Do you know exactly how far pregnant she is?

Andrew

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's not flowing or gushing just a small amount. I really don't she just showed up to my place maybe a week ago and has not wanted to leave. She's pretty big now, and has started chirping lightly today, no signs of pushing or hiding away.

Ok, that’s good.

What sort of cat is she?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm not sure tbh
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She had a flea collar on when she showed up but it was too tight and she has no fleas so I took it off her and she had scratches dup her neck cause of the irritation, it's healed up nicely now though just waiting for the fur to grow out.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She looked a little malnourished so we've been feeding her and she's caught up well, gets very hungry so we let her eat often to make sure the kittens are also getting nutrition.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can't physically take her to a vet right now since she gets extremely agitated and panicky when we pick her up.

Well, she looks like a domestic short hair - I was interested because some of the fancy breeds have trouble with giving birth.

If she’ll let you, have a sneaky peek under her top lip now and again - if she’s losing too much blood, the gums will go pale, but that’s unlikely.

In general, cats have little trouble with birth. Some seek solitude, others seek human support. Just indulge what she wants. She’ll want to find a nest to have the kittens, then enter the second stage of labour where the kittens are pushed out. You need to do little else than perhaps break the bag over the kitten’s head after it’s out, but usually the mother does that for you.

If you’re worried or unsure at any time, there are many guides online that describe kittening in great detail. It sometimes helps to know what to expect. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Andrew

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank I looked a lot of this up online and just read that if there's any blood that means she's having problems and needs to be rushed to a vet, but today all she's wanted has been affection and to sleep so I've left her to do her thing. Just need confirmation that she's okay and there's not much to worry about. So thank you so much Andrew.
She doesn't seem to want to go into any of the spots we prepared for her, we've got three in the flat, she just wants to be on the couch.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
You've been a great help.

No problem at all. I think the take-home message is to keep an eye on her without disturbing too much. Let her do her thing. Best of luck, and please don’t hesitate to ask if anything changes or you’re at all worried.

Andrew

.