Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My pup is 12 weeks old and has had diarrhoea for over week

My pup is 12 weeks old and has had diarrhoea for over week now and tonight has been sick twice is this anything to worry about
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your pup?
Customer: Are you still there
Assistant: Where does your pup seem to hurt?
Customer: She isn’t hurt she has had diarrhoea for over a week now and tonight has started being sick
Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your pup?
Customer: No just those details
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’m still waiting for a response?

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Is she still eating and drinking normally? Since the vomiting, does she remain bright? Vomiting and diarrhoea in puppies can be for a number of reasons. Most common cause of diarrhoea in puppies is parasitic disease so ensuring she is up to date with worming is key. If vomiting has occurred twice today I would recommend a period of starvation to withhold food for 12hours if she is otherwise bright, introducing food small amounts little and often from tomorrow. If there is further vomiting this evening or tomorrow then I would advise she is seen by your local vets who will also be able to give you advise on working. If she is up to date on working, sometimes short courses of a probiotic can be helpful to resolve diarrhoea.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
she is still eating and drinking as normal and very bright still I’ve noticed her poop has a red colour in it she has been wormed again today but the diarrhoea is very often too

Ok, well done for worming her today. That’s positive that she’s remaining bright and full of energy still I imagine! A small amount of blood in the stool can be normal but given the duration of the diarrhoea, if it doesn’t show signs of improvement following worming her in the next 24hrs I would advise she’s checked over by your vet. Feeding her a little bit of boiled white rice with her kibble biscuit teaspoon amounts with her food may help form things up. Also will be bland on her tummy following the vomiting. Hope she starts to improve :)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay that’s great thank you for all your advice and help very much appreciated

No worries, you’re welcome. It can be stressful having a puppy settle in the first few weeks and it’s always worrying when they’re ill. Hopefully her stools will return to normal soon.

If I could trouble you to leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the page that would be great. You’re welcome to keep me updated.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
hopefully they will thank you I’ll see how she goes in next 24hours
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay I will do and thanks again

No worries