Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

How strong is the digestive system of a saltwater or mugger

How strong is the digestive system of a saltwater or mugger crocodile ,what would they be able to digest?

Hi, Welcome back to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

In terms of what they can digest, it would be pretty much anything of organic origin, except I believe that bones generally pass through undigested. Is there anything in particular that you had in mind?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks for your help.As said before i like to write adventure stories .if this guy was taken by a huge saltie or mugger crocodile what would happen to him , thanks again for your help.

When crocodiles are ready to feed they typically stay under the radar in the water. Once their prey targets are nearer, they move over to them and grab them with their mighty jaws, dragging them into the water and killing them by drowning. They then swallow their prey whole, an adult saltwater crocodile could easily swallow a human this way and has certainly been known to happen! The stomach of salt water crocodiles have two compartments, the first is very strong and muscular and often contains stones that the crocodile swallows to aid digestion. This enables the crocodile to crush up any bones that they have swallowed into little pieces. The second compartment contains very strong acid and digestive enzymes (the strongest of any living vertebrate species), this will easily digest bone, horn, hair, feathers etc. If the poor chap you describe was eaten this way then there would be very little left to come out the other end, metal buttons/zips etc would pass through but everything else including most types of clothing would be digested. I hope this adequately answers your question. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello Chris. Thanks for the great information. Were would the huge crocodile start to feed on the guy in the picture
If It would help I can ask the rest of the questions as a new question .so you can get more credits.

You're welcome. Well it would grab him by whatever it could grab hold of first - arm or leg most likely. He would be swallowed either head or feet first. I would be happy to discuss any further aspects that you need to in more detail if you wish to start a new question at any time.

Chris