Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Dog my dog is choking on a bone fragments he’s thrown up a

Hello dog my dog is choking on a bone fragments he’s thrown up a lot but keeps eating grass and coughing alot
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He had a beef bone for 5 minutes
Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** *****’s a boxer and he’s 5
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: Only that he had some fatty beef with the bone

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you

Sorry to hear this, is breathing normally? Are his gums and tongue a nice pink colour? Is he actively choking now or just being sick?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His breathing is a little rapid his tongue is pink he’s distressed and keeps making himself cough and sick eating grass

Ok, sounds like its just really irritated his stomach. I would try to discourage him from eating grass and try to encourage him drinking a small amount of water little and often to see if that settles things. Keep me updated in an hour and see how he responds

How is he doing now? Any better?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A little bit he’s calmed down but keeps moving his mouth as If he’s chewing occasionally coughing and spluttering

Ok. I would monitor him, probably withhold further food this evening, continue water little and often. Try a small bland meal in the morning. I think things will likely settle down. Monitor for further vomiting and check that he is passing faeces normally. If he is not back to normal over the next 12 hours or you notice anything else of concern then it.would be best to get him checked over. Let me know if I can do any more to help.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much I will do so

You're welcome. If any other symptoms develop that you would like to run past me then please feel free to message again If I could just trouble you to leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen, it enables Just Answer to credit me for my time, many thanks.