Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I recently got a kitten, female, 7wks old... i am looking

Customer Question

i recently got a kitten, female, 7wks old... i am looking into getting her spade about 6mths old and i like to know how much this sort of thing costs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the kitten?
Customer: nothing.. she is well, i am just looking for help in getting her spayed when she is a little older
JA: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?
Customer: not hurt :)
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Midnight - i just want to know about the cost of spaying
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 1 month ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply
It's great that you are thinking forward to your cat's neutering surgery as this is a big part of being a responsible owner.
Neutering / spaying ensures female cats cannot have unwanted kittens and also prevents them catching sexually transmitted diseases from Male cats. On top of this, they are less prone to health issues such as mammary cancers and uterus infections in later life.
As is true if any health service in a private clinic, the cost varies from vet practice to vet practice. If cost is your number one concern , you can call your local clinics and request a quote. Typically, a cat spay will cost anywhere from £50 to £120. This should include the anaesthetic, surgery, pain relief, buster collar and check ups. If you wanted any extras e.g. a pre anaestheyic blood test (which can cost between £40 and £100) or a microchip (usually about £20) this would be charged on top.
It is worth mentioning that those on low income, benefits, pension, students etc. can use a scheme set up by the Cats Protection League whereby the vet will perform the surgery for a voluntary donation of £5-10 or so. Check the Cats Protection website to find your local clinic if this applies to you.
Similarly, low cost clinics such as the RSPCA may work out slightly cheaper than your regular clinic if you qualify for their services.
At 7 weeks, you little one will need her first vaccines soon (9 weeks of age) and should also have a vet check and some anti-parasite therapy. It is typically during this appointment that the vet can discuss costs of the spay surgery and also what it entails.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i insure my my cat and when she is ready - does or will
the insurance cover this??
You can insure her from now and the sooner the better. Insurance covers against illness and injury.
For example, if she fell from the sofa and broke her leg, the insurance company would cover the costs. A surgery to fix a broken leg can cost several thousand pounds.
Similarly, if she became ill and needed
to go to the hospital for medicine and tests, this would all be covered.
Shop around as you tend to get what you pay for. Try to get a Lifetime policy which will cover her for her lifetime and not just for one year of any condition.
Insurance will NOT cover the cost of routine health care e.g. vaccines, parasite treatment, neutering.
Check your local vet clinic as some can offer loyalty programmes to keep costs of these routine things more affordable.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure you received my last response? Please do not forget to rate this question by selecting the stars, which allows me to be compensated for my time. You are more than welcome to continue the conversation if you had any further questions.