Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

We think one of our cats has swallowed a simvastatin tablet.

We think one of our cats has swallowed a simvastatin tablet. What should we do?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Most likely it’s Poppy but it could have been Rosie both cats knocked the tablet sorter on the floor and were there when we found them. Just the one tablet is missing. They are 14 months and litter sisters
Assistant: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Poppy or Rosie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Poppy had intusseseption when very young with two surgeries in small bowel

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Ok the good news is that this medication has a very low toxicity, especially as a one off dose, so even if he did swallow it there should be cause for alarm. He may develop some vomiting or diarrhoea over the next 24hours but there is no need for specific treatment.

I hope that puts your mind at rest? If you have any further concerns then please feel free to message again.

If I could just trouble you to leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen, it enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Chris

Customer: replied 29 days ago.

You're welcome

I just noticed a small mistake above - I meant to say 'no cause for alarm' but I think you got my meaning!