Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10year old greyhound did not eat her dinner,which is not

My 10year old greyhound did not eat her dinner,which is not unusual ,but she did not want to go for a walk this afternoon,or take a treat,which is unheard of,she is lying in her bed and breathing very fast,she will not drink either

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Minnie. I become quite concerned when I hear the words "breathing very fast". I need you to check her vital signs for me, please.

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).
2) Check her respiratory rate. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.
3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F (38-39.2C). This is a two person job!
Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Temperature 39.7 breathing is 59 times in a minute

Thank you. She's mildly febrile which can be caused simply by muscle over-exertion while tachypneic (increased respiratory rate). She'll need the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. A respiratory rate of 59/minute suggests pain, anxiety, significant respiratory compromise due to advanced cardiopulmonary disorders or metabolic disorders that affect the acid-base balance in her blood.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you ,I will take her to my vet now

I'm pleased to hear that she'll be attended to by her vet shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have taken Minnie to the vets,she had an injection to get her temperature down,and an antibiotic,she also has had a blood test, I must take her in tomorrow, thank you for your prompt advice

Thank you for the update. Please keep me posted.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.