Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog is very slow on her feet, her back legs keep giving

Hi my dog is very slow on her feet, her back legs keep giving way, she can't climb the stairs and she has lost her appetite since last night, i don't know what to do!
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and she is 6 years old
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No she is a very healthy dog

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** don't know what to do, she is usually always very healthy and energetic. I thought I would try here first before taking her to the vets.

Sorry to hear about this problem with Bella. I need to ask a few further questions in order to give you the correct advice. What breed is she? Has she had any kind of accident in the past 24hrs? Are her legs splaying out sideways or is she 'knuckling' on her paws at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is a miniature ***** ***** and I was at work yesterday so I'm really unsure of what went on, I'm not sure if she is jumped down from my bed (which is quite high) and pulled a muscle. I just don't understand why that would affect her eating and drinking?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
her legs are more swaying than anything (her back legs) when she walks in a straight line you can see her back legs keep swaying

Pain can sometimes cause reduction in appetite and water intake and swaying or loss of the control of the back legs suggests that there could be a neurological problem here.

One of my concerns would be Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), otherwise known as 'slipped disk' in her spine, this can put pressure on her spinal cord and cause problems with coordination in the back legs. In mild cases improvement will be seen with rest and anti-inflammatory pain relief, however more severe or progressive symptoms can need surgery. There are also other possibilities and a full veterinary examination will be required to gain a proper diagnosis so I think she really does need to be checked over by a vet at the earliest opportunity so the correct treatment can be initiated.

I hope that makes sense? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, I will see how she is today and take her to the vets tomorrow morning, thanks again.

You're welcome