Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

I have a western hognose, hes abour 15 inches now and he had

Customer Question

I have a western hognose, hes abour 15 inches long now and he had milky eyes a few days ago so I was picking him up to check his underside for signs of shedding. I always hold him very gently however this time he wriggled and I heard a crunch, that sounded like a bone snapping, and now I’m scared i’ve hurt him even though i didn’t hold him any tighter than i usually do
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Snake, 20 months old, western hognose
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the snake?
Customer: No. He’s going into shed at the moment , but other than that he’s always been healthy
Expert:  Jav917 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Veterinary Technician with Experience with Reptiles and Reptile care.

Whan you put the Honose down hpow was its movement? Is it able to strech out, coils and monve normally?

If you gently run you fingers sown the spine is tehre any flinching?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He’s seeming to move fine he’s curled up in one of his spine and there’s no flinching - he is quite defensive so he snaps at me sometimes but he isn’t acting strangely
Expert:  Jav917 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! I am concerned about a cracking sound can me a disc may have popped out or may have herniated. Even with him moveing normally when there is a spinal out an injury that can cause a problem ;ater on.

An injury can show up days later after a period of time.

I suggest to be re assured you see a Herp Vet for a spinal Xray to rule an injury to the spine.

If you need a Herp Vet I can locate some with a State or Country

Joan.