Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My mini yorkie who is 12had a fit at 4 this morning and has

my mini yorkie who is 12had a fit at 4 this morning and has just had another
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Yorkie?
Customer: he is shaking all over and his back legs arent working
JA: What is the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** is 12, . He is now absolutely fine and walking ok so fit lasted 10 mins, last nights fit lasted 25 mins
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bootsie?
Customer: he coughs a lot to bring up bile

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bootsie. You may be describing a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (e.g., salivation, vomiting, eliminating) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If awareness is lost a general seizure - previously called gran mal, is diagnosed.) Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Bootsie's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsant drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Because Bootsie has suffered another event within 24 hours of a prior one, clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.
Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.