Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog, neutered, Merlin is a puggle, age 5. Historically

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** dog, neutered, Merlin is a puggle, age 5. Historically has been into vet twice with lethergy and digestie upset which was suspected pancreatitis, after drip has always pereked up after 24 hours and tests for pancriatitus came back inclonclusive, so last time a paid extra for another test that was more epxensive and came back negative for pancriatitus. His stools are normally fine, if very smelly, but sometimes loose. I have moved him to a high protein / low ceral kibble suplimented with small cat sized portion of meat to keep him interested. His farts have always been very unsocial, some times more rancid smelling than others. He always used to graze his food as somewhat dissinterested althought the addition of the small portions of dog meat to the kibble previously tined fish without oil increased his interset and now it will be gone in five minutes. What would you suggest I do to moederate his digestive problems / farting - I have read about enzyme supliemnents but also vetenary advice they can have no effect or worse yet be detrimental if a dog has a weak pancreus. What would you suggest?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Merlin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Merlin?
Customer: hmm, he will eat scratty bits of food off the streat if he gets half a chance
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
when the vet prodded him in the stomach to check for swelling / pain response none was really found. So it was suspected pancriatitus both times, but then we ruled it out with the last test. Let me see if I can find what it was on the invoice.Ok: "cortisol normal reported"
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
notes and history attached below.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
the question is, how can we best remove the strong smell from his farts?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many thanksBen
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
his kibble is Eden Country Cuisine small bite and the small cat sized meat portions are made by Lilly's Kitchen.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thanks

Ok so we have ruled out pancreatitis which is good. May I ask why you have chosen his particular current diet? Have his farts got worse since changing to a high protein diet?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I those the current high protein diet at the recommendation of his long time dog walker to try a permiumum high preotein low ceral food to see if that helped the stools and farting. Which is did improve it although not eliminiate it all together.
So farts have got better, but he wont eat just kibble, so I spiced it up with makeral or sardine (no oil) which helped but he was not super taken with it, so recently swtiched to small amount of dog meat which he really likes, but I would not say better or worse. He just drops some real stinkers in the pub.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I would say move to low cereal kibble imporved things compared to what they used to be like

Ok. Well if his stools are normal then I think it is unlikely that there is a 'medical' basis per se for the farting. It is probably more a case of sensitive digestion and certain ingredients not suiting him so well. I believe pugs in general are quite prone to flatulence.

My dog for example has pretty bad farts at times, we just have to live with it, but raw hind chews in particular can make it unbearable so we avoid those with her!

Pancreatic enzyme supplements would only be of benefit if he has pancreatic insufficiently, he has not had a specific test for that yet as far as I can see but the clinical signs would be somewhat different to what you have described.

Some people say that giving activated charcoal tablets at meal times can help, although I've personally never tried it

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
right, I will try, smaller portion twice a day rather than one meal, wit charcol and ust out the chews (moon bone).
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I will avoid the enzyme stuff.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I will try switching out the dog meat for some chicken and see how we get on with that.
Thank you very much for your help and confirming to avoid the enzymes.

Yes that sounds like a reasonable plan. If that doesn't work then a full diet change may be needed, you may have to do a bit of trial and error to see if anything in particular ingredient wise makes it better or worse

You're welcome

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thanks for all your help.