Dr.D
Dr.D, Veterinarian
Experience:  27 years of small animal medicine and surgery experience.Licensed in Florida and Canada
27194348

My cat keeps acting strange upon waking up. Assistant: I'll

Hi, my cat keeps acting strange upon waking up.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: It started with just seeming to be anxious and unsure of where he was, and crying, but calming down when he gets soothed
Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Malphas, 10 months
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Malphas?
Customer: He's started waking up and jumping up and sort of freezing, highly alert and on edge, and seems confused and frightened. He's ran into walls in this state, and I'm worried it's a neurological issue
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Some more details:
Upon waking up, there's what seems like disorientation and anxiety, but it's only when he's had a deep sleep. He's also vocalising and twitches a lot in his sleep, obviously dreaming.
The anxiety/fear state lasts a couple of minutes, but has been gradually becoming more frequent and lasts longer.

Hello , I am DrD , I will try to answer to your question.I need some more information from you.

Did you take your cat to the veterinary office recently for any reason ? If yes what was the reason ?

Did your veterinarian perform any test(s) before you homed the cat ? Where did he come from ? Can you please tell me about the vaccination history ? What vaccines have been given ?

Is he eating and drinking well ? Is there any other pet at home ?

Have you notice any saliva drooling from his mouth ?

Have you ever noticed seizure like activity in the past ?

I will be investigating more about your cat's condition while you send me your responses. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He hasn't been to the vet for three months or so. He's fully vaccinated and neutered, and I bought him from a friend after her sons cat got out one night.We also have his litter mate (also male, neutered and fully vaccinated), and an older cat (male, neutered, vaccinated).
He's eating and drinking as normal - he's always been an enthusiastic eater, and all toileting appears normal (although one of them did urinate on the sofa a couple of days ago, but we don't know which cat).I haven't noticed anything seizure like until the last couple of days, there's no drooling, and he's playing and affectionate as usual.

I do not think this is a Neurological problem but perhaps behavioral issue / anxiety. Saying that it could be beneficial for everyone to take him in for a hands on examination to rule out other causes ( neurological ,metabolic etc.) Since this is a young cat I do not consider cognitive dysfunction which mostly seen in older cats.

One thing I may suggest that to put this kitten in a separate room with Feliway diffuser (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVIIFRA?aaxitk=duo1jHL7n1h6daHIJHrcDg&pd_rd_i=B01AVIIFRA&pf_rd_p=9420597b-7dad-4cbd-a28d-7d676ac67378&hsa_cr_id=8195557270801&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=Feliway%20Classic%20Diffuser%20for%20Cats%20(30%20Day%20Starter%20Kit)%20%7C%20Constant%20Calming%20%26%20Comfort%20at%20Home ) with his own food , water and litter box if you can not take him to his vet immediately.

I hope this helps. Please come back and ask if you have more to ask . Thank you for your time to respond my questions.

DrD

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I thank you. Would you please kindly click accept to make me get rewarded for my time.