Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

He is walking with his tail down, won't allow anyone near

He is walking with his tail down, won't allow anyone near him.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He is a cat about 3 yes old .also he won't jump up onto the coach as he normally does
Assistant: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not as far as we are aware, we have just returned from a wee break
Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: He's called fatcat and is about 3 although he was a stray that found us, we can't be sure of his age
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fatcat?
Customer: He has a small bald patch on his head which wasn't there previously. He is a big rouge and attacks our own cat as often as he can.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this with your cat. Is he able to move the tail at all? Does he seem to be walking normally?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's not moving his tail much if at all, he is walking but it seems different to his normal stride a little more restricted .he is lying down but not wrapping his tail in . neither is he purring at all at the moment.

Ok. It sounds like he may have sustained some type of injury. Is there any visible disruption to the fur around his back end or the base of his tail?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No visible signs, no cuts blood nothing on tail or back that we can see, although he seems Very reluctant to allow us to touch it and has ran away to tide.

Ok. I would be concerned that he has sustained an injury to the base of his tail. Possible what we call a 'tail pull' injury. This may have been from a fight, fall, car accident or other trauma. I would advise getting him checked over by your vet at the earliest opportunity. He will require at minimum some rest and pain relief, and potentially an xray of the area if more serious damage is suspected.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for that we will contact his vet tomorrow.

You're welcome. Keep me updated. In the mean time I would keep him indoors and try to confine him to a small area if possible.

If I can just trouble you to accept answer and leave me a rating using the starts at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Chris