Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog started having episodes of diarrhoea, the last two

Hi, my dog started having episodes of diarrhoea, the last two had digested blood in them. She has been throwing up as well and has no appetite
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Started eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing that I have noticed, but she was off lead during our last walk, she might have eaten something without me noticing
Assistant: How old is Started?
Customer: She is a rescue, we think she is prob around 7-8 yo
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Started?
Customer: No health issues whatsoever

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear that your dog is unwell. Did the vomit contain any traces of blood as well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, there were no traces of blood in the vomit

Ok good. This could just be a severe gasteoenteritis but the presence of digested blood in the diarrhoea would make me concerned about a stomach ulcer. I would advise getting her checked out by your vet an.the earliest opportunity, at the very least she will need some gastroprotective medication. If there are any more concerning signs evident then she may need some tests performed as well.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could these symptoms be compatible with poisoning? I am at home alone with a baby, so a nighttime visit to the vet is my last resort... is it wise to wait until morning or should I seek medical attention now? I understand it's hard for you to provide a straight answer with limited info...

Poisoning would be unlikely unless something like ibuprofen was ingested? If she seems fairly bright in herself then this can probably wait until tomorrow, if she is flat/collapsed/not very responsive then she needs emergency treatment. She does definitely need to be checked out by tomorrow at the latest.

I hope that help, sorry that I cannot be more specific without seeing her.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful. I will take her to the vet first thing tomorrow. Thank you for your help

You're welcome. I hope she is feeling better soon.

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure no problem