Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My ferret was playing in the cage with his brother and when

hi. my ferret was playing in the cage with his brother and when I took him out of the cage he was limping. he cant put weight on his left leg. they have been separated since then. what should I do?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound, he is just limping amd cant put weight on his foot.
Assistant: What is your ferret's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 10 weeks old
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mooncake?
Customer: no, he is healthy otherwise

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply.

I'm sorry to hear little Mooncake has hurt his leg. Young ferrets are especially prone to injuries like this as they can play quite exuberantly and do not have the strongest bones/muscles just yet.

You've done the right thing by stopping play and examining the leg for any obvious injuries or swellings. I would also ensure he is now in a small space that is nicely padded. Check that he is breathing normally (not too fast/laboured) and seems to be alright otherwise.

If nothing seems abnormal and the leg can be flexed and extended the same as the other, the best case scenario is that he has strained it and is tender. If this is the case, it should gradually become less painful over the next hour or two and he should begin to use it more and more.

However, there is always the chance that he has sustained a more serious injury such as a dislocation or fracture so if he continues to not use the limb, it is best to have him seen by a vet, who will likely want to do an x-ray.

I would strongly recommend seeking a vet with good knowledge of ferrets. An experienced ferret vet would be able to provide the option of limb surgery if required.

There are a couple of pain relief/anti-inflammatory medicines that are used for ferrets and can be prescribed by vets to help with any pain or swelling. These are useful whether it is a bad sprain/strain or a break.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
thank you very much for your answer!

Absolutely. Please feel free to keep me updated on Mooncake and fingers crossed he is running around as normal soon!