Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have an 11 year old Japanese akita.. she has a touch of

Hi I have an 11 year old Japanese akita.. she has a touch of arthritis.. I have just been charged £192 for 150ml of gabapentin rosemont.. is this the usual price and can I get an alternative as this will 9nly last 2 weeks.many thanks Michelle
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Akita?
Customer: She sits down very tentatively they did have her on meticam.. but after bloods said she had to come off it as it was affecting her liver
Assistant: Where does the Akita seem to hurt?
Customer: Her hips if I stroke her at the base of her spine she seem to lift her leg too
Assistant: OK. What is the Akita's name?
Customer: Sox
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sox?
Customer: No.. she doesn't cry out or anything..x
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How long do I have to wait
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this a con???

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you x

I'm sorry that your question was not responded to sooner.

I can see two options here which you could explore:

Firstly is there a particular reason she is on a liquid gabapentin? Gabapentin capsules are much much cheaper (probably £30-£40 per month maximum for a dog of her size).

Secondly if she really does need a liquid version then you could look and see if you can get it from a human pharmacy (it is a human medication), you will need a prescription from you vet but it may work out a little cheaper.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She will not take tablets.. we have tried everything .. but will ask to get from pharmacy.. is there an alternative??

Ah I see. Unfortunately the liquid version of gabapentin is particularly expensive. Yes you may find it is cheaper at a human pharmacy. There are other medications which could be considered for arthritis which may not affect her liver in the same way. I would ask you vet about Galliprant - it is a fairly new drug of the same class as metacam but it supposed to have less side effects on the liver and kidneys.

That website is American but it has recently been launched in the UK also

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for all your help xx your a star xx

You're welcome. I hope you manage to find something that works for your dog.

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Of course xx