Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We noticed tonight that our dog could not eat or drink out

Customer Question

Hi, we noticed tonight that our dog could not eat or drink out of her bowls as she in unable to bend her neck and very stiff, she has also not been herself last few days
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lola and she's 8
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: She did have a cough for a few days as if had something trapped in her throat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, is this open at this time? Just wondering if it warrants a late trip to vets
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Which breed is Lola, please? You appear to be describing a dog suffering from cervical (neck) intervertebral/degenerative disc disease (a "slipped disc") or perhaps wobblers syndrome (cervical spondylomyelopathy/compression of the cervical spinal cord and nerve roots caused by vertebral malformation and/or disc-related lesions) more common in large/giant-sized breeds. Neither is an emergent problem but should be addressed by Lola's vet at your earliest convenience.

I understand that it's late where you are. I'll watch for your next post in the morning. I'm in the Pacific daylight time zone.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, thankyou for your response, lola was given a pain killer injection and xrays may be needed
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for the update. Hopefully, she came home with a prescription for a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) as well?