Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog tends to eat a lot of natural treats including

Hello, My dog tends to eat a lot of natural treats including hooves, trachea, horn, raw bones etc and tonight as a treat I gave him a raw pork rib as I have in the past. However, for some reason this evening he swallowed the bone instantly without even chewing it. This bone was about 3-4inches long and about an inch in diameter. Does he need urgent vet treatment or will his stomach acid dissolve the bone before it’s passed naturally? Many thanks, ***** ***** no idea what to do and am very worried.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He’s a Kelpie x Springer spaniel and weighs about 14kg. He is 1 year old in August. He’s just larger than a cocker spaniel, I can’t think of anything else he needs to know.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Please give me 5 minutes I am typing your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, no problem.

As you may already know the concern is the bone causing an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone or pass it in the feces without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). Or, add some canned pumpkin to his food every time you feed him for the next few days. The idea is for the rice or pumpkin to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, abdominal pain or swelling, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, I shall do that. How will I know if it’s been passed successfully? Will there be any remains of it?

Some dogs will digest the bone and you will not see any evidence in the feces. If you don't see any symptoms in the next 2-3 days it is very likely that he digested the bone and nothing else should be expected. For now, all you can do is wait. In my experience, most dogs will digest the bone and nothing happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thank you for your help Dr Peter, it’s my first time using this site and it’s been a great help. Thanks again. ***** Thomas.

I am glad I was here to help Mr. Thomas.

You're welcome. :)