Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

My dog had surgery to remove a tumour on his paw yesterday.

Customer Question

My dog had surgery to remove a tumour on his paw yesterday. He has just put his paw in our pond. Waiting for emargency vet to get in touch. His dressing is soaked. Please advise?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Dexter aged 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jav917 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for over 35 years. I am sorry for the wait.

What I suggest is to remove the soaked bandages. The Pond canwater can have bacteria and we need to get the wer dressing off. I would clean around the area with Betadine and apply a new dressing. If you do not have a dresing a clean white sock can be put over the surgical area on the paw to protect it with a sterile gauze pad coving the surgical area.

This will keep the area clean until the Vet can see te paw and re dress it. I am sure an Antibiotic was given and should cover the dog for a bacterial infection, but the dirty wet bandages need to come off.

Please reply to discuss this information.

Joan