Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Can you pls tell me the cost of the consultancy? Assistant:

Hello, can you pls tell me the cost of the consultancy?
Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cat
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Cat?
Customer: Can you tell me the cost of the consultancy first?
Assistant: Where does the Cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Can you pls answer my question
Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Ok you win I guess I’m texting an automated bot,
Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is the Cat eating normally?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the Cat having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Don’t think so
Assistant: How is the Cat behaving differently?
Customer: Been hiding, nervous, when he sits he looks uncomfortable, his second eye lids are showing
Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Cat's name?
Customer: Wolfy
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wolfy?
Customer: He licking his rear a lot, I have recently given him a worm pill as I suspected that was the issue

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

With regards ***** ***** of things, that is something that I (the 'expert') have nothing to do with I'm afraid! As far as I know, you have chosen an amount to pay for the answer (usually between £10 and £20) which has been paid. If you 'accept' my answer by rating it, the fee is then paid to me for my service.

With regards ***** ***** age is he?

What symptoms did you first notice and when did they begin?

What was the name of the worming product you gave and are you confident he had it all?

Finally, does he use a litter tray and, if so, has he had any diarrhoea recently?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2 years old, 10 days ago, he has had diarrhoea but not seen evenidence in the past 7 days of diarrhoea, I just find the worming product
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Beapar worm clear for cats
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I mixed the tablet with food, and none left on plate, so definitely had most of the tablet
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His diarrhoea was about a day later
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Linda are you still there?

Thank you for this information.

It's good that the diarrhoea has stopped. In a young cat, diarrhoea is relatively common and can have many causes including parasites, infections, eating something they shouldn't have etc.

I would agree that worming is the sensible thing to do, but it's important it is done with an effective product such as Drontal, Stronghold or Panacur. There are wormers available from e.g. supermarkets that are not very effective and will not necessarily eliminate parasites. Beaphar contains Pyrante Embonate and Praziquantal so should be effective against tapeworms and roundowrms, though not hookworms or whipworms.

You say that when he sits he seems uncomfortable and is licking his rear. Is he walking strange or limping at all? If not, it may be that his rear end is a bit tender from the diarrhoea or if he has been licking. If you can, check to make sure the anus is not red and inflamed and there is not dry poo which may be caked on and irritating him. Bathing the area with cotton wool and warm water may help.

Another possibility is that his anal glands are full. This can certainly cause a bit of discomfort when sitting. A vet would have to check this for you and, if they are full, can squeeze them to unblock them.

His 3rd eyelids being on show is not unusual after a bout of diarrhoea and/or worms. This is called 'Haw's Syndrome' and it occurs when the gastrointestinal system has become inflamed. Even when things settle, it can actually take weeks or months for the eyelids to return to normal.

If you are sure the diarrhoea is gone, great! If not, we need to address this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, that’s great advise, I’ll monitor his systems the next few day if no improvement I will order some of the worm treatment you recommended

Perfect, sounds like a good plan!

Let me know if he develops any other symptoms or you think of any other questions.

If the stool is not quite as firm as it should be, consider feeding a very bland diet of white fish or chicken and white rice for a couple of days to settle his gut. I would also avoid any treats or human foods at this time.

I would recommend purchasing Panacur as it contains Fenbendazole rather than either Praziquantal or Pyantel Embonate so would be your best option.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks for you help awesome, have a nice day