Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog has green discharge in tear duct of one eye

My dog has whitey green discharge in tear duct of one eye
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Oscar 3
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: No

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this - are you able to send me a good photo of the affected eye? You can attach it via the paper clip symbol

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Y
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s only affecting one eye

Ok, what breed is your dog and how long has this been present for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Poochon (poodle bichon), today

Ok. It is likely that this is an eye infection (bacterial conjunctivitis). I would recommend that this is checked by your vet so an antibiotic eyedrop can be prescribed and the eye checked for any more serious problems (foreign body, ulcer, low tear production).

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it clear on its own or does it need the antibiotic drops?

You could try flushing the eye with some saline solution, however if it has not resolved within 24hrs then it will need antibiotic drops, likewise if the eye starts to look red, sore or closed up then he will need to go to the vets

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for your help

You're welcome. If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.