Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My partner took my 1year old male lab out for a walk about

Customer Question

My partner took my 1year old male lab out for a walk about an hour ago and told me he had been shaking his head and tilting to the right he then notice a thorn like object in the right side of his face which my partner removed... since then my dog has been titling his head to the right and shaking his head
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruno and 1 year
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bruno. If he has continued to shake and tilt his head even though the thorn had been removed, there's a good chance that another thorn or, more likely, a plant awn such as the foxtail has found its way into his ear. Please see image of foxtail below.

Unless Bruno normalizes quickly, it would be prudent to have his vet scope his ears. Most plant awns can be removed with an alligator forceps without the need of an anesthetic.