Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My Labrador (13 years old) woke up this morning with a very

My Labrador (13 years old) woke up this morning with a very heavy limp and is now struggling to get up and walk
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Labrador. What is the Labrador's name?
Customer: Jack
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: Nothing other than he is old

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jack. Regrettably, it's nigh impossible to assess lameness from afar but at jack's advanced age, geriatric osteoarthritis and myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative/intervertebral disc disease are important differentials. Ideally, Jack's vet would examine him hands-on in order to clarify where his pain is originating and then treat specifically. If this isn't possible, as for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at22 mg per kg of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or acetaminophen/paracetamol which can be dosed 15 mg per kg of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen/paracetamol for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 11 mg/kg of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.