Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’ve put some ear drops in my labradors ears today and it

I’ve put some ear drops in my labradors ears today and it has gone all red from inside causing him some discomfort
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Labrador?
Customer: The inside of his left ear has gone red and it appears as if I put too many drops by mistake
Assistant: Where does the Labrador seem to hurt?
Customer: His left ear
Assistant: OK. What is the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: Milo 4.5 years
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?
Customer: No
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
What drops did you put in (please include brand name) and why did you put them in (were you attempting to clean the ear or did you think it seemed uncomfortable)?
Have you ever used the drops on him before?
Any symptoms e.g. head shaking or scratching and, if so, when did they start?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The ear-drops are Vetzyme antibacterial for cleaning the ears. While stroking his ears he winced in pain so I investigated and noticed a lot of ear wax build up and decided to use the ear drops. However the skin inside one of the ears (where he winced in the first place) turned red. I then cleaned it gently with a cotton wipe to remove any of the ear drops.. He keeps shaking his ear intermittently and does not seem to be in pain or wincing but since it looks strange I thought I’d ask.
Okay, thank you for this information.
Assuming the product is Vetzyme Kitzyme 0.99% w/w Ear Drops Solution for Dogs and Cats, the data sheet reports no risk of ear irritation or redness and it appears to be a safe ear drop.
Given the symptoms, the redness is likely something which would have occured whether you applied drops or not. Wax would not cause discomfort so it is much more likely he has an infection which has flared up today. An ear infection will lead to redness, pain and a thick waxy build up which may smell strong.
You have done the right thing by cleaning the ear & I would not worry you have caused the issue, which is likely to have been underlying. Ear infections require prescription drops containing antibiotics (and often strong anti-inflammatories) to treat them. If you have a local vet that is now open; great! If not, I would bring him along tokorrow morning.
A vet visit is also essential to check for any foreign bodies e.g. grass awns within the ear.
Labradors are prone to infections due to their floppy ears and humid weather does not help. Ensure they do not get wet and try to distract him with nice chew toys & food games.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Thank you for the kind accept and please feel free to keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.