Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My guinea pig's body, particularly his sides keeps

My guinea pig's body, particularly his sides keeps pulsating, sometimes quite noticeably and his insides seem to jolt at timesalso
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your guinea pig?
Customer: his sides keep pulsating in and out as though he's breathing too heavily, it gets worse at times and when it's worse something jolts inside him also
JA: Where does your guinea pig seem to hurt?
Customer: He's not hurting
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is your guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Finn aged 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finn?
Customer: He is eating and pooping fine. He doesn't squeak much anymore

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this, are there any signs to changes with his breathing? Any snuffling/sneezing? Is he walking normally? Any signs of weight loss?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can hear occasional clicking noises and his nostrils seem to inflate and deflate with every breath, He is otherwise normal, It varies all the time, sometimes his sides are really heaving for a few days and the movement seems to move his whole body. Last night when I held him I could hear his breathing which I don't normally. this has been happening for around six months. Our local vet cannot find anything wrong. An x ray revealed nothing abnormal apart from a little arthritis on his hip bone. I am beginning to suspect that it could be asthma
His weight has dropped from his usual weight of 1350 g. It fluctuates between 1220 -1270g
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He doesn't sneeze and has no discharge from his nose
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi I am still waiting for your response, I hope you haven't forgotten about me

Sorry for the delay, I was having some technical difficulties

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you

It sounds like he has had quite thorough investigations which is good. Given the time frame and lack of xray findings, a chest/respiratory infection seems less likely. A chronic upper respiratory illness (either infection or inflammatory) would sound more likely. Especially with a 'clicking' sound to breathing which can be excess mucous shifting in the airways. Have you tried changing to a different/dust free bedding material?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We give him dust free hay to eat and use megazorb bedding as it is not dusty like sawdust. He is five years old and hasn't had problems with this before. What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Would this account for the sudden jolts he has?

Is he housed indoors or outdoors? How long has he been on dust free bedding?

Yes it could do

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He is housed indoors, having free run around the house during the daytime, He has been on the same dust free bedding since we had him at four months old

Ok, one thing I would suggest would be to look at getting him an air humidifier, as dry air can sometimes contribute to the symptoms you are seeing. You can also look at nebulising him with a product known as F10 solution, this can help kill bacteria and fungal spores which can.also worsen airway irritation.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have an air humidifier that I could use, should it be used all of the time? Or would the F10 solution be better and where can I get it from?

Ok great. Yes I would try it all the time for 2 weeks and see if it helps, if not then maybe try the F10 too. I will find you a link for the product

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

See this link for product and full instructions https://www.viovet.co.uk/F10-Products-Antiseptic-Solution/c22571/

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you can see the information above.

Let me know if you need any further.

Chris

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, I've got the link, I will try the humidifier for two weeks. If it helps should I continue to use it all the time or will the condition clear up?

I would use it most of the time, but you may be able to reduce it to just a few hours a day

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you so much for your help, we have been so worried about him

You're welcome. Feel free to message again if you have further questions.

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Chris