Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

I have a hermanns tortoise. We adopted him a year ago when

Hi, I have a hermanns tortoise. We adopted him a year ago when he was around 5 yrs old because his owners couldn’t look after him/her anymore.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the tortoise?
Customer: He’s happy most of the time. Eats lots of different things that he should, enjoys a bath, a walk round the garden, his heat lamp etc but he goes through spells when he just doesn’t want to come out of his sleeping place in his indoor enclosure. If I didn’t get him out and encourage him to eat he wouldn’t move for days.
Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the tortoise. What is the tortoise's name?
Customer: Cyril (we were told he was a boy when we were given him but i’m not so sure)
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the tortoise?
Customer: Not that i can think of. I had him checked by a reptile vet when we got him. His shell is bumpy already so nothing we can do now but he was otherwise healthy. He’s very friendly and likes being talked to and stroked when he’s not like this.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 years experience with Reptile health and care.

Does the Tortoise live inside and outside?

Diet?

Supplements?

If inside do you have a UVB light, strength, brand and age?

Joan

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Joan, he lives inside but we have built a run around a small animal hutch outside so take him out there when its warm and dry so he walk around on the grass and has shelter if he wants it.
I’ll send some pics!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
His enclosure.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
100W solar heat lamp.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Supplement from the vet.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He enjoys greens, will sometimes eat dandelions but think he was fed mostly salad by his previous owner. He enjoys small amounts of cucumber , tomato, carrot, fruit etc.

These tortoises do like to sleep a lot to be nibbled on.. whic is normal.

My concern is that you said his shell is bumpy. This can be an indication of a calcium deficiency. He should ne geting a leafy green diet beside what he forages. He should have calcium on his greens as well as well as cuttle bones to be scattered aroundto nibble on.

I do suggest a Herp Vet visit at least once a year to be checked for Parasites and health. If you need a Herp Vet, please let me know where you are located in te UK.

Joan

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
His shell was bumpy already when we got his as he was 5 years old. The reptile vet that checked him said there was nothing we could do to change this now. Only make his diet better from now on. I can take him back to this vet nearby.
Should he have 2 different lamps?

If he spends time in his shed, the a UVB light is needed for artificial sunlight. The calcium I suggested works with the sunlight and the UVB light to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. This is very important that is why I suggest the calcium and cuttle bones.

As far as adding Veggies to the diet, collard greens, mustard reens, escarole, Romaine, cury endives and dandelion greens. You can also add Butternut, and acorn squash. For treats strwberries are a great treat.

Please let me know if you need further help. If My abswer is helpful a Positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Joan