Todd Worrell, DVM
Todd Worrell, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience as a Small Animal Veterinarian
24842113

My cat has had blocked anal gland problems over last few

My cat has had blocked anal gland problems over last few months which required unblocking by a vet 3 times. But the issue is persisting. A vet potentially recommended changing cat diet from raw eat (current diet) to a higher fibre diet. Would this help? and what specific diet/food is best?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Rosie, approx 6-7 years olld
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: she seems more subdued than normal and unusually lying on the hard floor a lot (usually sleeps on a bed or sofa).
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Regards ***** ***** anal gland: The vet has twice unblocked whilst the cat was awake. Also recently drained the gland(s) under anaesthetic. each time the issue has seemed to return after a few weeks.
Two possible considerations come to mind. First food allergies can be implicated in chronic anal gland problems. Second, if the anal glands have other disease concurrent, such as infection, additional treatment such as antibiotics may need to be administered. I would not recommend changing food without some discussion with your veterinarian about the type of food that he or she would recommend. If food allergies are considered a possibility, therapeutic diets that contain hydrolyzed proteins are the most effective at treating food allergies. This type of diet would need to be fed for at least two months before you would notice any substantial improvement in the anal gland issues
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i have asked the vet for a recommendation regards ***** ***** The cat has a 'raw meat only' diet for approx last 2 years. but the anal gland issue has only been present for the last 4 months.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
could there be any other underlying issue related to the glands? or is it likely to be diet or allergy related?
Food allergies often take several months to develop and could develop even after two years of eating the same diet. What is in the Rall diet that you are currently feeding, i.e. what ingredients?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Lamb/beef and chicken. Containing: lamb/beef heart, lamb/beef liver, chicken with bone, salmon oil, sea kelp, bilberry powder, brewers yeast
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
also.... Rabbit: 100% minced rabbit with ground bone. additives inc. Vitamin A, D3, E, Zinc sulphate, mono hydrate, manganese sulphate, taurine
I would certainly consider changing to a diet that has only one protein or meat source, maybe a fish based diet, as there is no fish in the current diet. That diet has theee very different protein sources as I count them
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok 1 source makes sense. yes would you recommend any of the meat sources over the other in terms of health?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Final question: how does a food allergy effect the anal glands exactly?
Not really any particular meet source over any other. My suggestion of fish was solely based on the fact that the raw diet had three other meat sources. Any of the meat sources will be fine in terms of nutrients and healthfulness. As to the question of how food allergies affect the anal glands, I have not heard anyone explain that adequately. Our best guess is that the food allergy causes inflammation all along the gastrointestinal tract and inflammation around the anus can cause poor expression of the anal sac content