Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our 16 month old female French bulldog was spayed today. Her

Hi, our 16 month old female French bulldog was spayed today. Her operation was at one, all went well, she was very stable during anaesthetic
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the French Bulldog?
Customer: Even though her surgery was some time a go, she still has shivers, is this a normal side effect? We were told this could be expected for a few hours but it’s just a concern
Assistant: Where does the French Bulldog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn’t hurt, just shivers/spasms
Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the French Bulldog?
Customer: No, she’s otherwise completely healthy

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Could I just get you to check a few things for me in order to give you the correct advice?

- Can you check her gums for me to see what colour they are? (They should be a nice salmon pink colour)

- Has she eaten/drank since being home?

- Is there any discharge from her wound?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Chris, there is no discharge from her wound, it’s bled minorly when we first bought her home but hasn’t since. She hasn’t eaten or drunk anything since being home, but she has passed a stool and urinated fine. Her gums are a nice healthy pink colour.

Ok. It is likely that she is just a little uncomfortable and/or still feeling the after effects of the anaesthetic. I would settle her down somewhere nice and warm and comfortable for the night. By tomorrow she should be a lot better, if not then I would recommend taking her back to your vets for a check up.

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay, thank you for your help. I considered it to be after effects still and maybe a little shock but wanted to make sure, especially with the vet initially saying she will shiver/spasm for a few hours still as a side effect rather than the whole evening. I’ll keep an eye and see how she goes. Thank you again.

You're welcome. Sometimes the side effects can last a little longer, so try not to worry too much at this stage.

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Chris