Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My American bulldog has vomited 5 times now, he’s thrown up

My American bulldog has vomited 5 times now, he’s thrown up grass and parts of a toy, but now he’s drinking fluids and throwing them up.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the American Bulldog eat anything unusual?
Customer: It maybe a toy he was playing with on Friday, would an obstruction take so long to show?
Assistant: What is the American Bulldog's name and age?
Customer: He’s been eating and drinking fine since Friday, the vomiting has just started in the last two hours. His name is ***** ***** he’s nine
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mack?
Customer: Nope
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure fire away
What type of toy? Plastic ? Metal ? Etc. Did it look like most of it came out ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cloth one of the tough ones.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would you like a picture?
please. You read my mind)
Does it look like all of it came out ? Or are you not sure how much came out?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was one large piece then a couple of smaller ones
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But this was Friday... does it really take so long for an obstruction to show? He’s been fit and well until a couple of hours ago,
Looking now.
Now after he threw this up , how do we feel now ?
Which part did we throw up now ? Was that in the Picture ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was a part of the yellow cloth, Mack seems to have calmed down and is relaxed on the rug lying down
Obstructions can show up at later time. Sometimes days later. It all depends where and how it was in the GI tract
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay so what do you suggest?
Let’s just say. We only had this piece stuck in the stomach for a few days. It could irritate the lining of the stomach some. However, if it did not get into the intestinal tract that is good. Then today we vomitted it up. We may have a little upset stomach for a day, as long
As we start to feel better. We keep eating and drinking and food and material move through the intestinal tract. We should be in good shape
If for any reason we stop eating. We stop defecating, we get a tender abdomen. Then we will want to see a veterinarian for an x-Ray and a check up. We can keep this message line open for some time such that we can monitor
How he progresses
Today
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay that sounds fine. Starve him for now and keep him hydrated. If isn’t any better tomorrow take him to the vets?
Actually today let’s not starve him. We want energy into his system
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay tjat
What does he normally eat ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay that sounds like a plan
Many times some hamburger and rice it some canned food will be very good on the GI system
If we start to vomit and feel worst today we will discuss that too
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Combination of wet and dry food
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has protein allergies and is on hypoallergenic food, duck and rice dry and duck and rice wet
Then if he has allergies. If you have canned of that type of food. Use that. It will be softer and more soothing on the GI tract
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay will try to feed him later. He’s just had a drink so I want to see if he keeps that down
Sounds like a good idea to start with
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’ll keep you posted
Sounds like a good plan. This afternoon it might be 30 minutes in between times I check the app on my phone. Just in case I don’t respond immediately. I will be checking here
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well he’s kept water down now :) and has had a good rest :) seems like his normal self agin :)