Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is it safe to leave my dog in the car for an hour on an

Is it safe to leave my dog in the car for an hour on an autumn day
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
This is an interesting question.
Obviously, an Autumn day can vary and some are warm and humid while others will be freezing cold.
Today, for example, is September but we hit 20 degrees in London. Inside a car this can mean a temperature of up to 40 degrees after 30 minutes with no ventilation or A/C.
The car acts like an incubator on days like that.
The dog can also generate more heat by panting and moving about.
So, even on milder days of say 12' or 15', I wouldn't be comfortable or feel safe leaving my dog for such a long time.
We also need to consider the breed and health of the dog. A brachycephalic such as a Pug who already has impaired breathing might get out of breath easier. Similarly, an elderly dog or one with an underlying medical condition would be able to tolerate less time.
As they are unsupervised, it is really not the best place for them to be. A better alternative would be at home or perhaps out with you where you have gone! Alternatively, consider a dog sitter or doggy daycare.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, that’s really helpful and it has cleared that up for us.
Not a problem and have a lovely day!