Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My 15year old Yorkshire terrier has a growth on her face. I

Hi, my 15year old Yorkshire terrier has a growth on her face. I took her to the vets 3 days ago when it was very sore and bloody. I have bathed it and put dermisol on it. She has a collapsing trachea so an anaesthetic is risky. Do you think it looks sinister?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Yorkshire Terrier's name?
Customer: Minnie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minnie?
Customer: Just the collapsing trachea and she’s on steroids
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It looked like this 3 days ago

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
this is today

I'm afraid it is impossible to say what the lump is simply via a picture. Certain features of a lump can be more concerning for a malignant tumour (rapid growth, invasive of underlying tissue, ulcerative surface), but some form of biopsy would be needed to say for sure.

Did your vet discuss performing a Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA) of the mass? This is minimally invasive, can usually be done consciously and often gives important information as to if a mass is likely to be malignant or benign. This would be my recommendation of the next step before resorting to surgery in a high risk animal.

If the mass is benign then it can be left alone so long as it is not becoming severely ulcerated or infected. If malignant then you would need to weigh up to risk/benefit of surgery given your dogs age and other conditions.

I hope that helps?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She was very snappy at the vets so said the only way was to sedate her

Ah I see, in that case a conscious FNA may not be possible. I she needs sedation then actually a general anaesthetic is often safer, so removal of the mass for analysis would be a better option if you were wishing to go down that route.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t know what to do

How long has the mass been present?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I only noticed it 3 days ago. I felt something hard in her fur and when I bathed it found it to be dry blood. When I cleaned it up it was very sore underneath ( I sent a pic )

Ok. Given her age and concurrent conditions I would probably be less inclined to operate as the anaesthetic probably gives higher risk than the mass (even if it were to be malignant). So monitoring may be sensible, if it continues to grow or becomes infected or bleeds regularly then that may alter that decision.

Ultimately there is no completely right or wrong answer but we want to try and avoid such high risk anaesthetics where possible

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thankyou for your advice

You're welcome. Feel free to message again if you need any further help. If I could just trouble you to leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen, it enables Just Answer to credit me for my time (otherwise they don't pay me anything for answering these questions!). Thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No problem

Thanks :)