Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

It's possible that my dog (a chihuahua/westie cross) may

It's possible that my dog (a chihuahua/westie cross) may need cruciate ligament surgery, but he's 11 years old and diabetic. In your opinion, would you recommend the surgery or a programme of medication and deterioration of the leg?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: The Moose
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Otherwise he's been pretty healthy all his life - except for being on a grain-, chicken- and rice-free diet, and being blind.
Any underlying health issues or medicines? What is our regular food? Indoor or outdoor ?
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What are your questions?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I prefer to type.
We can type all. My apologies the questions did not come through. When did this happen? Can we weight bear any on this leg? Any other medical conditions? Any medications we are on ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's been about a month or more since he started favouring the leg. At this point the leg is marginally weight bearing.
He is diabetic.
Did they give any Medication for pain on this leg? Did they take any X-rays ?
We can have partial tears to the ACL and complete tears to the ACL. Did they specify what one they thought it was ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He was initially given a shot which seemed to help briefly. He had now been given meds to take twice daily for 5 days. I cannot read the name of the drug
Aré they white pills ? Possibly Tramadol for pain
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No xrays were taken and it is described as deterioration rather than damage.
Not tramadol. He is not in any pain.
Ok. Then at 11 years of age. These Little ones can live to 15 or 18 years. A dog bears 30 percent of the weight on the back legs and 70 percent of the weight on the front legs. Many times clients with read leg torn ACL may go with antiinflamatories as needed for pain and inflammation. However at this age and with diabetes. As long as pre-surgical bloodwork is good. I feel we would be a good surgery candidate.
I would feel that doing the surgery will help to make the quality of life all the better for the next years.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** You've been very helpful and allow me to consider the surgery a lot more positively.
You are more than welcome. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know. Best of success on all and have a great day. Dr Mike
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
One last question, Dr Mike. You mentioned "clients with read leg torn ACL". What does "read" leg... mean? Or did you mean "rear"?

My apologies, slight typo, I meant since the rear legs have the ACL issues and 30% of the weight of the body is on the back legs as opposed to 70% on the front legs. Whereas in humans each of our legs bear 50% of our total weight, the rear legs each do 15% of their body weight. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It does. Thanks again.

You are more than welcome. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You did answer all my questions very thoroughly. Thanks for your help and advice.

Thank you for letting me know, how are things today?