Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I’ve had a tortoise for 47 years and i reckon he’s aged 64.

i’ve had a tortoise for 47 years and i reckon he’s aged 64. he has lost a little weight before hibernation sets in and i’m worried he’ll not make it through. usually he hibernates from October to March and he’s fine but have been told that’s too long for hibernation. I am 72 years old and don’t want anything to happen to him. I live in Prestwick Scotland and wondered if you knew an expert tortoise breeder who could take care of him for me. will look forward to your reply. If not can you help me get him through hibernation thanks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the tortoise?
Customer: He is now just eating Cos Lettuce and when the sun shines he can eat a very lot. I am just so worried he’ll not wake up next year

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Could you let me know what species of tortoise he is? Thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
mediterranean
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i don’t want to talk by phone
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
can you please help me
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I havent heard from you yet

So a Hermans tortoise then?

Ok the first thing I would say is that I would not recommend hibernating an unwell tortoise. It is not essential for them to hibernate every year. If you do decide to hibernate him then just a very short period can be fine. At the most you should hibernate them for about 12 weeks anyway.

It is a good idea to have a vet check before hibernation and a faecal analysis to rule our parasites or illness prior to hibernation.

If you like I can send you a guide to all this formulated by an exotics specialist I work with?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I've already taken him to the vet and he is okay health wise but just slightly underweight but she said it's okay to hibernate him but only for 16 weeks. How do I stop him from hibernating too early.

I will send you the tortoise care sheet. He can be brought out of hibernation by increasing his warmth and light, whilst hibernating he should be weighed regularly and woken up if his body weight drops by 10% or more

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay thanks

Let me know if you can open the attachment?