Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog has a limp he wears a leg support but maybe needs

Customer Question

My dog has a limp he wears a leg support but maybe needs some pain or anti imflammatory
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No its muscular I think the leg support helped a lot compared to how it was
Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Jasper 8 years old
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: No fit and well otherwise
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon possible.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Could I just check how long he has had the limp for? Has he seen a vet already for this problem?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He has had it about 6 months he hasn't seen a vet he has a lower leg support which seems to work pretty well but the last couple of days has been limping more
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Ok and is this a front or back leg?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Front
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.

Ok. I would be concerned by the amount of time which the lameness has been present for, generally speaking most soft tissue injuries do not persist so long. I would want him to have the leg checked by a vet to see if the likely cause of the pain can be identified, especially as he s not that old. Potentially xrays may also be required. At the very least some anti inflammatory pain relief will be needed to keep him comfortable.