Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I purchased a kitten - 15 weeks of age- yesterday and she is

I purchased a kitten - 15 weeks of age- yesterday and she is very scared. She hid behind the fridge yesterday evening and I had to get my neighbour to help get her out. She ate a very few biscuits her owner gave me, last night, and she has been on the window ledge all day and is still there.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: She is in good health and looks fine. She is a chocolate Torte tabby point Siamese.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Do we have any canned food that you can offer ? Or Tuna and tuna juice ? Your main problem is she is scared? Do you have any other pets ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have sheba pouches and Royal Canine sachets - beef or chicken. I have no other pets. I had to put my 17year old Siamese cat to sleep two weeks ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I prefer to continue to be in touch on line
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She is simply scared and not eating

Yes we can talk all here, the system offer automatically a phone option. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Siamese.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I hope you can advise me now

Have we shown any interest in the treats you mentioned to me? Have you tried to put the food near the window where we are at? Many times I find it takes a few days for the new kitten to get adjusted and take to the new place. We have to learn how to make them feel happy and secure. Have you ever used any catnip in the past?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I used catnip years ago. The food is on the floor just below the window-sill which is quite narrow and would easily fall off!
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When I tried to pick her up yesterday, she put out her claws but did not bite. I have since left her alone to get used to the room. She moved around last night and knocked a few things off the window ledge above the sink.
She seems very tense and tight.

Do you have a small area like a pet porter or carrier that we may like to sleep in for a bit? Many times they will feel much happier and safer in a small, protected and safe area. What I meaning about the food, if there is a place that we want to be in a lot, at first we may need to offer food near to where the kitten is. Then in time we can bring it closer to where we want to place the food area at. Cat nip can make a cat happier and help to reduce some stress also.

There is a product called Feliway, it comes in a spray to spray on places, or a diffuser that you can plug into the wall. This releases natural pheromones into the house that will help reduce stress and anxiety in the kitty also.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have the spray which I will try. I am worried about the "not eating" issue. Can she go on for more than two days without proper food?

Yes it takes a little time for the transition, most important is staying hydrated. Are we drinking some water? This is where many times I have found canned food to be helpful, it tastes better and smells more to stimulate the appetite more.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She has some water by her food which I changed earlier. I don't know if she is drinking it. What canned cat food would you recommend i.e. make?

At the store look for some kitten canned food, especially the type that has lots of gravy, perhaps get 3 different types and try them. I find many times they like the type with gravy and shredded tuukey or chicken better than the patte. However every kitten is different, also get some patte, in the end, we need to do all we can ot make our little one happy. Tuna and tuna juice I find also works very well if you have that in the house also.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for that advice which I will follow up. Finally, should I be concerned if the problem with no eating lasts for more that two or three days? Have you any other advice to give?

We can leave this question open for a few days if you would like. Every case is different how the kitten will come around. I would then say lets just stay in touch these next days and adjust the plan as our little one responds for you. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That seems an excellent idea. Thank you for your help to date.