Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog poo has started to look darker than normal.

Customer Question

Hi my dog poo has started to look darker than normal.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Poo?
Customer: Sorry my dogs poo has started to look darker
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Poo?
Customer: No
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 14 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

What age and breed is your dog?

Is the dog clinically well; no other concerns?

Any medical history or is she on any medication at the moment?

Can you describe the poo in more detail- is it runny or solid, is it dark brown or black and tarry?

How long has this been going on for?

Finally, what diet is she on (including and treats/titbits) and does she receive any supplements?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My dogs seems okay but a little more needy/ demanding to go out than normal.
Poo is darker and feels harder.
He’s fed royal cannon and poo used to be slightly darker than the food (light brown) but is now grey/ light black.
Eats and drinks okay.
He’s not a scavenger and doesn’t eat anything but his own food. Has been know to chew up his bed and get the stuffing out but yet to see if this has been ingested as none has been passed.

Ok, thank you for this information.

It may simply be that the poo has less moisture content than before so appears darker. This can happen if a dog is drinking less, exercising more or if the weather is warm/humid.

As he is quite well and with no other symptoms (such as weight loss, vomiting, diarrhoea) there is less chance it is something sinister.

While darker stool can sometimes indicate digested blood in the stool, we would normally have other symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting, pale gums, lethargy or reduced appetite.

Royal Canin is a good quality food and I would continue with it.

I would ensure he is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur or Drontal.

I would see if increasing the amount of water he gets helps. This may mean adding water to his dinner or encouraging drinking by offering e.g. the water that chicken is boiled in.

If the problem continues or if he develops other symptoms, the next step would be a couple of simple diagnostic tests to ensure there is nothing more worrying going on. This would normally mean a simple blood test to ensure he is not anaemic and a faecal exam.

In an older dog, we may also consider abdominal imaging (especially if there is evidence of anaemia).

It's also sensible to ensure there are no potential toxins about he may be getting to, such as rat bait in the garden or human medication within the home.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Hi there. This is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure you received my response and did not have any further questions?

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 4 days ago.

Hello. This is just a final message to check in. Were you able to read my final response? Did you have any further questions? If not, I would appreciate if you could rate the answer in order for the question to be closed and me to receive compensation for my time. If you do wish to continue the chat, please do let me know. Dr Linda