Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Vomiting for 48 hours. Not eaten for 24 hours, lethargy.

Vomiting for 48 hours. Not eaten for 24 hours, lethargy. Took her to local vet this am. ?gastroenteritis. She has Im antisemitic, antibiotics, analgesia and subcut fluids 250ml. Her temperature was 35.8. She hasn't moved the rest of the day. Not passed urine. Cannot stand as back legs give way. Heart rate of 46 bpm. Stomach making noises and she occasionally crying.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Oh sorry. She's a female jack Russel terrier, 5 years old
Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the terrier?
Customer: I don't think so

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok

I'm sorry to hear your dog has been so unwell.

There are several things which you mention that ring alarm bells for me.

A temperature of 35.8' is extremely low and can indicate shock and poor circulation. This can potentially lead to organs shutting down.

Similarly, if her heart beat is truly 46 this is critically low. A dog of her size would normally of a heart rate of at least 80 bpm. Again, this tells us her circulation is poor and she is really struggling.

She is in a critical condition and needs urgent care. Subcut fluids will not be enough, she needs intravenous fluids immediately.

We also need to find out exactly what is going on as this is highly abnormal for such a young dog. I would be considered about toxicities, addison's disease, pyometra (if not neutered) etc.

Not only does she need to be brought to a 24 hour clinic for stabilisation straight away, we need to find out what is going on to start any necessary treatment. At a minimum, she needs blood and urine work.

I'm sorry I cannot be more reassuring or offer advice for home care but she needs to be seen right away. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you. We have an appointment and she is being seen now
That's great. I wish her all the best for a quick recovery. Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your advice! She's home now and well. She has now been diagnosed with Addisons disease, they believed she had an Addisonian crisis but she's almost back to normal after the injection and tablets. Thanks again.
Oh that's fab news! Hopefully she continues to do so well