Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My amstaff it’s now the third time that On top of the same

Hi there, my amstaff it’s now the third time that On top of the same eye it become a bit swallow
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the swallow will be able to digest that. What is the swallow's name?
Customer: The day after everything is fine
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the swallow?
Customer: The eyelid gets swallen
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This is how it looks like. It’s not itchy or painful
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
usually comes during the evening and it’s gone next morning
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She’s now sleeping, it looks like she doesn’t even feel it
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good evening Dr Mike, thank you for your answer
I am reviewing the pictures. Please give me a few minutes
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Now is even less, after 10 minutes
Thank you for your patience while I reviewed the images.
How old are we ? How long has this been going on for ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Please take your time. Now that minutes are passing is almost completely gone.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She’s 3 years old, it happened 3 times in 10 days
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
All the 3 times during the evening, disappeared the morning after
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The first time it happened as soon as we came back from the park
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Last 2 times around this time 9:30 - 11 pm
Does it ever seem to cause any pain or discomfort ? Does any fluid ever come out ? If so does it ever have a green or yellow color to it ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No pain no itching no discomfort, not even any fluid
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She acts totally normal when she has it, but it’s so strange that comes and goes away in one or few hours, always on the same side
Are we outdoors a lot ? I have seen this before, when dogs are very active outdoors we may have received a poke by even a stick, this may have allowed some bacteria to start to grow under the skin. The body is fighting it now. This is why it comes and goes. In time this may turn into an abscess or an infection that will need medication. The other top differential is it may be a small fluid filled cyst. Normally once they fill. They remain full. However I have seen some go back and forth. The way to know for sure what the fluid in there is to take a. Fluid sample at the clinic. Since we are showing no problems now you also may just want to wait a fed days to see if it just resolves on its own. If it gets worse. Be seen right away.
This area is prone to this as they are out running around sniffing things with the head close to the ground
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We do go daily outside and we also have a small garden where she spends time
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It doesn’t seem to have fluid in it because the skin comes back to the normal level so quickly. If there’s some bacteria, do we need to give her any medication or anything that could help her to fight it?
Good to know.
To know for sure what is in there. This is where at the clinic when there is fluid in it. They can use a small needle to withdraw a sample and look at it under the Microscope to see the cell type
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Or any drops..?
It seems to be all under the skin. It is not touching the eye itself. This is where drops will not really be of any assistance
On my land cases. That look like this. If we can not get out any fluid. However I am still suspicious of infection. I will start on oral antibiotics to ensure if there is any bacterial component. We have it addressed
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What kind of pills shall we take? Do we need the prescription for it?
Any antibiotics would need to be prescribed by your regular veterinarian. Do you have one ? We can offer advice and answer questions here. However we can not prescribe medications.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
we do have one in our district. Shall we bring her to visit anyway or shall we wait a bit to see if comes out again?
This is why I wanted to present both potential to you. If it was painful , leaking fluid, causing discharge to the eye I would instruct to see your veterinarian ASAP. Since it does not have those signs. One could give it a few days to see if it changes and if it resolves or worsens.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Many thanks for your precious advice! I really appreciated that!
You are more than welcome. Any other questions I can answer for you ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That’s enough for today. Many thanks again, so kind of you!
You are more than welcome. Have a good evening. Dr Mike