Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hard anal gland or tumor, my vet doesn't know and said to

hard anal gland or tumor, my vet doesn't know and said to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get bigger. I am thinking of getting a 2nd opinion. Titan is a 10yr old Chihuahua with anal problems
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Titan 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Titan?
Customer: Just past issues with anal glands. His right gland sealed shut and they had to sedate him to make a hole and empty it. It's now scarred and doesn't fill up anymore.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It would take another person to hold him for me to take a photo of his rear end. My husband isn't here right now to do that.

I understand. You're welcome to return to this conversation at your convenience. There's no extra charge for your doing so.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Should I get a second opinion with another vet?

Certainly. You may be describing the dangerous anal sac gland adenocarcinoma. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I've looked that up before our conversation and he doesn't have all the symptoms. Praying it's not that. Thank you for your time.

I'll think good thoughts, too. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok, I will.

I appreciate it.

Thank you for your kind accept.