Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

I'm looking after a rabbit and I've noticed it's not been

Customer Question

Hi I'm looking after a rabbit and I've noticed it's not been eating for the 5 or 6 hours.no pellets,or hay and wouldn't even eat a baby corn which he loves.he has also been very quiet and just been throwing himself on the floor and lying down anywhere and everywhere since about 2 oclock.ge does lie down sometimes but not to this extent and hes also been doing it in unusual places.he has just eaten a few dock leaves but left some which again is unusual and then he had a good drink of water?should I be worried?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the rabbit will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rabbit?
Customer: Usually a lot more energetic than this and is a good eater
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He seems to shaking a little bit too
Expert:  Jav917 replied 13 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 35 years ch or is it a house rabbit?

Joanexperiece in Pet care and a special interest in small exptics.

Is the Rabbit passed any stool?

Have you tried any fresh food?

Is the Rabit in a Hut

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I've couldn't tell you if he has passed stool but he has been to that area of the garden earlier.i put fresh pellets in earlier and I tried a baby corn.the rabbit lives in the house
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Just tried him on some lettuce and he is eating that.is that good?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
now hes eating cabbage
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are you going to answer by way of advice?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What do you think is the problem?
Expert:  Jav917 replied 13 days ago.

Sorry My power went out for a few mins. I am working on a answer now.

Joan

Expert:  Jav917 replied 13 days ago.

The Rabbit needs food going in to keep stool coming out. When a Rabbit stops eating and drinking this can lead to a GI Stasis which means the gut stops working. When this happenes it can kill a Rabbit.

GI Stasis can be a result of stess due to his owners not being around, so keeping a close eye on him passing stool is most important.

Make sure he has plenty of grass hay and try promoting it becuse the fiber in the hay keeps the gut going. The pellets should be aboout 1/8 of cup and about 1/4 cup of fresh veggies.. It is a good thing he is tanking the veggies.

If he completely stops eating, then grind his pelltesand mix qith water andfeed via syringe. YOu can also do an abdominal massage to hel the gut action and to break up gas.

If you find he will not eat anything, drink and is not passing stool, then at that poind have him seen by a Vet to get some gut motility medication, a probiotic and an Antibiotic.

Please reply to discuss this information. The big issue is to make sure he is passing stool.

Please reply so we can discuss this information and questions.

Joan

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They have been away for a week and a half already and hes been absolutely fine.im here a lot anyway and hes very comfortable with me.i have left all his food out and plenty of greens for when I go to bed.he doesn't tend to do stool in the house even though he has a stool tray.he goes in the garden.i will keep an eye in the morning if and when he goes out.could it just be a passing thing or an upset stomach through something hes eaten drank outside?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Or drank sorry
Expert:  Jav917 replied 13 days ago.

This could pass, but the not eating and drinking, and not passing stool, becomes an emergency. I am glad he ate some fresh veggies so we know somthing is going in.

You can give fluids via syringe and as I explained grind the pellets and mix with water to make a slurry to get food going in if all stops. Should that happen have him into the Vet. Not only does stess cause this,, but gas teeth as well as unknown reasons, can cause a GI stasis, so a watchful eye on passing of stool as well as eating and drinking is very important.

Please let me know if you need further help. If my answer has been of help, please rayte my service Positive.

Joan

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hes eating some hay now.hes on the landing and probably will stay there till morning now so I've put his water up there,plenty of greens and hay and his stool tray.
Expert:  Jav917 replied 13 days ago.

Eating Hay is excellent! That will help keep his gut going. It sounds like you have him back on track. Allow him to have al the hay he wants. The Veggies supplied some fluids into his system.

Just keep an eye on him and you know what to do if he stops again.

Joan

Expert:  Jav917 replied 13 days ago.

Is there anything I can assist you with?you with? Please let me know. My goal is to give excellent service and earn a positive rating.

Joan