Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Came home about half an hour ago to find that my 18 week old

Came home about half an hour ago to find that my 18 week old cockapoo puppy had chewed on/partly ingested a small packet of deoxidiser (looks like an iron based one). I have no idea where it’s even come from and how she’s got hold of it. Just found the chewed packet. She seems fine in herself but not sure what I should do?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the Cockapoo's name?
Customer: Lola
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?
Customer: Not really. She’s happy and healthy. No other issues.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a veterinarian with more than 25 years of experience. I'm here to help you with your question about Lola and the little deoxidizer packet. I'm sorry this has happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

In most cases, dogs who eat products like this do just fine. Most act as if nothing happened, but some minor upset stomach symptoms are also possible.

Do you have a photo of what's left of the packet?

Thanks,

Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Unfortunately I threw it out. I didn’t think much of it initially and then I googled it. Have tried looking for the packet but can’t find it in the rubbish. It was a small, 1.5 inch packet and it had a black powdery substance in it. It had deoxidiser written in it and said ‘do not eat’. Sorry, I could kick myself for throwing it away. It was stupid of me.

Sorry, but I had to turn down your phone call request. It won't work internationally from my location. To be clear, though, I don't think it's really worth the expense. This should be a pretty simple matter.

Are there any words printed on the package?

While I await your reply, I want to emphasize that if it's the type of deoxidizer packets typically found in beef jerky and similar food packages, they are not harmful or toxic. We wouldn't expect any problems unless it's just some minor stomach upset from the irritating properties of eating the package. The contents are inert and non-toxic.

Would you like me to release your question so you can still go ahead and pay for a phone call?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don’t think there were. I just remember it says deoxidiser. It definitely wasn’t the white pearly silica type because it was black and powdery so i’m assuming it was iron?

That sounds typical for a deoxidizing packet.

And you said Lola is still acting just fine, right?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Absolutely fine. My husband suggested feeding her and trying to push fluids and it certainly hasn’t effected her appetite. Hoping it might just flush out of her system quickly.

This all sounds good.
As long as she continues to act normally, you may simply carry on with her usual routine. We do not expect to see any significant problems with this type of exposure.

Is there anything else I can help you with? I know how worrisome something like this can be and want to be as helpful as possible.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I might give her regular vet a call tomorrow and see what they think. As long as you think she’ll be okay over night?

Yes... as long he she has her usual appetite and energy level and isn't vomiting, we expect her to continue to do just fine.

And a phone call to your regular vet never hurts. I know I always like it when my pet owners stay in touch with me when they're worried about something.

I do hope this has been helpful information for you. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for chatting with you today. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

-Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help. I feel really reassured. Of course I will rate you five stars.

You're very welcome. Please give Lola my best. Thank you for using JustAnswer.