Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a dog and I have been treating him for flees but the

Hi I have a dog and I have been treating him for flees but the treatment doesn’t seem to work . I’ve used frontline about six weeks ago . He has a flee collar and I also wash him with a organic flea shampoo.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ezz
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ezz?
Customer: No not that I can think

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments as I type my response.

I'm sorry Ezz is suffering from this issue, which can cause a lot of discomfort and is frustrating for owner and dog alike.

When it comes to flea treatment, not all are created equal. Though you have undoubtedly paid good money for both the shampoo and collar that you have purchased, they are unlikely to be effective (the exception to this would be the new prescription flea and tick preventative collar brought out called 'Seresto' which is superior to other collars on the market). I would remove his current flea collar.

Frontline is effective in some but we are seeing a lot of resistance issues in recent years, meaning many fleas are no longer affected by it. Regardless, it is only effective for one month so would no longer be active.

Non-prescription products bought online, from pet stores or from supermarkets are generally not strong enough to tackle the issue. They may kill some fleas but not all of them, meaning the fleas never go away.

We absolutely need to use a prescription treatment to deal with this issue. A spot-on such as Advocate or Prinovox is ideal. An alternative would be a tablet such as Nexgard Spectra. You will need to see your vet to be prescribed these products, but I can guarantee it is worth it. If you opt for a spot-on, remember he must stay dry for 1 day before and 2 days after to ensure it is effective.

Of course, any other cats, dogs or rabbits in contact with Ezz will also need to be treated, ideally on the same day.

Similarly, as 95% of the flea burden live off the dog and in their environment, we need to treat the home on the same day as the dog. This means hot washing any bedding and blankets over 60'c, hoovering all around (focusing on dark/warm areas such as under sofas and behind curtains) and ideally using a flea spray such as RIP or Indorex.

As fleas carry tapeworm, most dogs who have fleas will also have tapeworms. Ensure he is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Droncit or Panacur.

If his skin is irritated/scabby or infected, he may well need additional therapy such as antibiotics. Hopefully this is not the case.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Thank you for the kind accept and please feel free to ask me any further questions you may have. We have been seeing lots of fleas this year in both cats and dogs (likely due to the vet hot weather we have been having) so you are not alone!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi I am after some more advice I’ve just been to the vets and have been give some flea treatment and some Steroids , prednisolone 5mg
2 tab twice a day for 5 days , 2 tabs once a day for 5days . 1 tab once a day for a week then 1 tab every other day for a week . Is this normal , seems a long time to be on tables
this is complete normal. The steroids will be to help with the red and itchy skin. We start on a relatively high dose to control the inflammation immediately and we then need to taper them off over a period of 1-2 weeks.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thank you just seemed a high dose
I cant comment on the dose itself (just the duration of treatment) as you haven't told me the weight of your dog.
Typically, anything from 0.5-1mg/kg can be prescribed for the first few days so I would presume Ezz is somewhere between 2.5kg and 5kg.
Oh, apologies, you said the starting dose is 2 tablets (so 10mg not 5mg), hence Ezz may well be larger i.e. up to 10kg
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ezz is 18kg
That's fine, so we certainly don't need to worry the dose is too high. Side effects such as increased appetite, increased thirst and increased panting can be seen initially and will stop one the medicine stops.
Any signs of the dog being unwell or of developing vomiting/diarrhoea or blood in the poo are not normal and if they were to occur you would need to contact the vet.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thank you , your put my mind at rest
Not a problem!