Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have just found an oozy lump on my dogs chin and I'm

I have just found an oozy lump on my dogs chin and I'm worried it could be cancer. She's 9 years old.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She seems pretty healthy otherwise

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are the pictures coming through?

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to be a histiocytoma - a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells. I apologize for the pedantry. It's common in dogs with the highest incidence in young adults younger than 4 years of age. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. Lesions may be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae, and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously.
Images of histiocytomas: https://www.google.com/search?q=histiocytoma+vs+mast+cell+tumor&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi48dKy6o7gAhXOmq0KHWG6BgIQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=938
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks here's some more pictures in case you need to see more. Does this mean it is unlikely to be cancerous? I'll not bother for out of hour vets then and just wait to make an appointment on Monday? Can I clean it with hibbi scrub and put some Suda crem on it?

This is a typical-looking histiocytoma. While these are more commonly seen in dogs younger than 4 years of age, I've diagnosed them at any age. Correct, this doesn't look like a cancerous lesion. You can safely use the scrub and cream but these don't respond to such care. An after-hours vet isn't needed and would be inappropriate for such a skin lesion. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can I ask what generally causes this?

At this time, they're considered idiopathic (unknown cause) but a viral etiology has been conjectured.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, thank you for your help. Actually one last question. Are they contagious to either humans or other animals?

You're quite welcome. No, contagion isn't a concern. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok I will do. Thank you for putting my mind at ease! Have a nice evening.
Jess

It's my pleasure.