Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Small dog just ate a tube of divisive acid Assistant: I'll

Customer Question

Small dog just ate a tube of divisive acid
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lemmy. 14 months. 11 kg. Are 30 mg tube of fucidic acid. Sorry.
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lemmy?
Customer: nope. He’s generally fit and well
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 12 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments as I type my reponse

Young dogs are notorious for this sort of thing, so you are not alone! Luckily for Lemmy topical antibiotics such as Fucidic acid are not particularly toxic to our dogs. The main side effect we see is mild stomach upset (runny poo, a vomit or two). Due to this, it is advised that Lemmy be fed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice little and often for the next 24 hours. Do not offer any treats or dog food, which may be too rich. Monitor him closely and ensure he is drinking some water too.

Did he eat the tube itself? If so, this is slightly more of a concern. If he has chewed it well, it will likely pass through. However, there is a small risk that if he has swallowed a large piece of un-chewed tubing, there may be a blockage. Signs of a blockage can take a day or two to appear and would include lethargy, reduced appetite, bloated stomach, vomiting, constipation etc. While it is a small risk, we should still be watching closely for this.

In summary, he should be just fine with a bland diet but we need to keep an eye on him for the next couple of days.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 9 days ago.
Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure you received my response and all is ok with Lemmy?
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 5 days ago.

Hello, it has now been about one week since your question was first opened and it remains open. Please let me know if you have any further questions I can help with. Otherwise, I would appreciate f you could take them time to rate the answer, thus closing it and allowing me to receive compensation. Many thanks, ***** *****