Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’ve noticed that she has been trembling and today I saw a

I’ve noticed that she has been trembling and today I saw a drop of blood in her stool/diarrhoea
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She’s a 9 year old chihuahua/ toy poodle
Assistant: What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Lexci
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexci?
Customer: No shes otherwise well and has been eating as normal

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear Lexci is not herself.

Does Lexci have any medical conditions I should know about or is she on any medicine?

Has she been neutered and, if not, when was her last season?

Is she up to date with her vaccines and parasite prevention?

How long has the trembling been going on for and has it ever happened before?

Is her stool normal colour and consistency other than the drop of blood?

Finally, any chance she has eaten something she shouldn't have?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No thanks

Please ignore any phone call requests- the website sends these automatically and they are out of my control. I am more than happy to continue or chat via typing

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No she’s not got any medical conditions that we know of.Her poo was quite runny as well but the colour was normal.I’m not sure about vaccinations as she’s my sisters dog and she deals with that side of things.

Ok, thank you for that information.

Trembling is quite a non-specific sign and we can see it when a dog is in pain (e.g. tummy cramps), is anxious or has a fever.

Similarly, a drop of blood in the poo is not diagnostic of a particular condition and may occur for a variety of reasons including bacterial infections, parasites, eating a rich diet, eating inappropriate items (bones, toys, plastic etc) as well as many other reasons.

If she is still bright, active and appetant this is reassuring. I would also want to quickly check her gums to ensure they are pink and wet. Similarly, her abdomen should be soft and comfortable rather than tense and painful when gently pressed.

Most cases of upset stomach will resolve within a day or two. Help things along by feeding a bland diet of boiled white chicken and rice little and often. Do not give any dogs food, chews or treats as these may be too rich. Encourage water drinking and you can add some of the water the chicken is cooked in to improve the taste.

Allow her to rest and do not force her to play or exercise (though do give her outdoor access to allow her to do her business as frequently as she likes).

If not done in the last few months, it would be prudent to rule out internal parasites by giving her a good quality wormer such as Drontal or Panacur as soon as possible.

You can also give her a few days of probiotic paste e.g. protexin prokolin or canigest to stop the diarrhoea/blood. These can be purchased online or from pet stores or the vet. A prescription is not necessary.

Check her environment for anything she may have gotten to such as rotten food in the garden, a chewed up toy, rat bait, antifreeze etc. just in case.

Continue to monitor her closely and you should find she improves with time. If she develops any symptoms such as lethargy, reduced appetite, vomiting etc. this would mean we need to change our plan and she may well need to see a vet. The same is true if the diarrhoea becomes more profuse or if there is more blood (which may be red or tarry black).

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much I’m reassured by your response and will definitely keep an eye on her and her gums and abdomen seem fine. I’ll follow your directions and see how she gets on.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks again

No problem at all and wishing Lexci a speedy recovery.