Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Advice please. I have a five year old Shi tzu. Today I am

Hi advice please. I have a five year old Shi tzu. Today I am hosting a family afternoon tea and have baked chocolate fairy cakes. I put them after decorating with choc frosting and sprinkles into dining room uncovered.
Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Barney sneaked in ate 2 and has licked icing off of 3 more
Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes I have a problem because I’m worried about his consumption of the chocolate
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the animal will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?
Customer: No he appears to be okay otherwise

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments as I type my response.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Oh no, what a scamp!

What does Barney weigh?

When exactly did this happen?

What type of chocolate did you use (baking/milk/dark?) and could you please estimate how much chocolate would have gone into each fairy cake.

Similarly, what type of chocolate is used in the icing and can you check the pack to see what quantity is contained?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok

Unfortunately, I am unable to make a phonecall at this time; the website makes the request automatically.

If you specifically want to talk to a vet on the phone let me know as I can exit the question in the hopes that there is someone else available to speak.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Could you please just give me your advice here please

Absolutely.

If you are able to answer the questions above, I can provide your answer.

If they have not sent through for some reason, here they are again:

What does Barney weigh?

When exactly did this happen?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Barney weighs approx 8 kg
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It happened about half hour ago
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It was a tub of Cadbury frosting
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
About a dessert spoon on each
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Few sprinkles on each
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Usual sponge mixture to make the cupcakes with cocoa flavouring

Cocoa flavouring? Could you be more specific? Is this milk chocolate cocoa powder or is it a pre-made mixture. If it is contained within a mixture you have bought, what is the name of it?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He has drunk quite a lot of water since eating the cakes
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it is Betty Crocker
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can send photos if this helps
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello?

So, in total he has eaten roughly 5 dessert spoons or 50mls of icing. The icing is mainly sugar but does contain some cocoa (the ingredients do not specify how much so we can be conservative and suggest 10%).

With regards ***** ***** themselves, assuming this is the 'tempting chocolate cake mix' this contains 5% cocoa (a low amount) and is mostly sugar and flour.

Assuming the fairy cakes weigh about 50g, this means 100g in total, or 5g of cocoa.

So we can estimate that Barney has eaten about 10g of cocoa.

This amount poses a moderate/medium risk.

Excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhoea and restlessness can be expected. Worse symptoms tend to take 4-8 hours to...

set in.

Due to this, I would recommend bringing him to the vet immediately to make him sick. They give him a small injection to eliminate his stomach contents. This is very safe when done in a vet clinic.

They may also suggest providing him with a drip and feeding him some activate charcoal to help reduce symptoms. Similarly, he may need some anti-nausea medicine and probiotics to go home with.

The injection works best the sooner it is given and ideally needs to be given within 2 hours so I would be contacting the emergency vet asap.

I appreciate this is not ideal as you are hosting family today, but it is better to be safe than sorry in cases like this.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok I’ll do that now. Thank you

Absolutely. Please feel free to keep me updated and let me know how Barney is getting on. Wishing him a speedy recovery.